As temperatures begin to heat up, you are probably beginning to think about your air conditioning system and your monthly energy bill. If you are looking for ways to save money on your air conditioning bill, here are 6 ways to help you save on air conditioning costs.
- Use a Fan. Ceiling fans are a great way to make your rooms feel cooler without using a large amount of extra energy. Moving air will make your rooms feel more comfortable while also helping your air conditioner to be more efficient.
- Close Your Blinds. Not only will your blinds block direct sunlight from heating your house, but they also help insulate your windows. Window coverings discourage cool air from escaping through your windows. Also, installing solar screens on the outside of your windows, especially on east and west sides of your home, will block the heat before it can even enter.
- Plant Shade Trees. The sun heats your house as it shines through your windows and on your roof. Adding trees around your house to shade the areas that the sun directly hits can keep your house cooler and reduce the strain on your air conditioning system.
- Keep a Higher Temperature While You Are Away. Setting your thermostat to a higher temperature while you are away at work can also save you money. Just make sure you don’t change your thermostat to a very low temperature when you arrive home to try to quickly cool your house down. Your air conditioner won’t work faster; it will just use up a large amount of energy. Try to keep a 10 to 15-degree difference between your away and home temperatures.
- Upgrade Your Thermostat. Did you know that smart thermostats can regulate your home’s temperature, even when you are not home? You can even make adjustments from your phone. So, adjusting your temperature throughout the day will be simple.
- Service Your Air Conditioner. Having an efficient air conditioner that is well-maintained will make the biggest difference in the energy consumption of your home. Scheduling regular service will ensure that your air conditioner is working properly and is not having to use extra energy to keep your home cool.
At J Newton Cohen, we are air conditioning experts. We can help you with any issues with your HVAC system. We also specialize in installation and can help you determine the best air conditioning system for your home or business. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment or request more information.